A holiday is one of the best ways to have a long break and move out of a monotonous routine. But before you book your holiday, there are certain things you would have to do to ensure your home is safe and that no problems will arise in your absence; and plumbing checks should be high on the list. The experts at Wilco Plumbing have put together a list of some essential plumbing priorities before you leave on your trip.
- Make sure that you turn off your main water supply. Most often leakages can occur when you aren’t at home. The main valve should be situated at the wall closest to your home’s water meter; turn it in a clockwise direction completely.
- Open all of the taps and faucets in your home as this will help drain as much water as possible from supply pipes in your home, in case any leaks should occur. It reduces the risk of any water damage from a broken fixture/pipe when you’re away from home even for a few days.
- Set the water heater to vacation mode: this will keep it operating at a much lower level than normal. If your holiday is going to last for more than a few days, you may want to switch off the water heater altogether before you leave.
- If you have a swimming pool, it’s best not to turn the pool pump off as it can cause algae build-up in the pool. Instead just keep it running at the optimal settings, and request a friend to check on your pool to make sure it’s functioning properly. In case of extended vacations, it may be a good idea to drain the water from the pool completely.
- The sprinkler system is generally on a separate meter, and you can leave this line open even when the main supply to your house is turned off.
- Clean out the drains and garbage disposals. When you regularly run the faucets, they help in keeping your drains clear. However, when you stop doing this, the leftover moisture and clogs in the pipes and drains can lead to unpleasant odors in the pipes or Blocked Drains can be very difficult to remedy.
- If you will be on holiday for a longer time, consider requesting a relative or friend to come by to run the water at least once a month to keep the plumbing in good condition.
- It’s a good idea to hire the services of a licensed plumber to inspect the entire system and rule out the possibility of any plumbing problems; so you can have them fixed before you leave.
- Customer Testimonials
I was very impressed with service provided and tech’s approach on arrival was great customer service. Ability, knowledge & advice by tech is remarkable. Also, I rate Wilco Plumbing as a responsive & efficient company.Lisa. S, McMahons Point
Accurate and immediate assessment of problem using their high tech diagnostic equipment. Provided written quote together with staff who were experienced in each of the specific stages of the job. Great management back up from the office for their field staff. Delighted with the result which saved me a lot of money.David. L, Castle Hill
Thank you Wilco! On many occasions when I have needed to send a plumber out to my investment properties I have encountered problems with service, cost etc. Yet, when I called Wilco, you delivered on everything at the best price, and kept me in the loop throughout the process. Thanks! Now I know who to call when ever I need a plumber!Adriana, Bossley Park
I just wanted to thank you for having such polite staff. I was most impressed with the efficiency of your worker who did a great job on my bathroom.Dean. N, Avalon
I was very pleased with the prompt and professional service. It’s nice to know upfront what you’re up for. I would recommend Wilco Plumbing without hesitationPete. N, Kellyville
Wilco Home Services
02 9186 3371
ABN: 60 612 161 574 Lic No: 297579COur Service Terms and Conditions