Blocked drains are quite a common plumbing problem that homeowners have to deal with. While this problem builds up over time and is rarely sudden, most people tend to either overlook the signs or defer getting the problem fixed even when they notice something is wrong. But blocked drain problems only build up over time and result in sewage backup in sinks and bath areas. The experts at Wilco Plumbing have put together some information that will help you identify when there is a blocked drain problem on your property and you can get it fixed on time.
Blocked drains- the causes
There are a number of different things that cause blocked drains such as:
- Tree roots- The drain pipes that run underground in your backyard sometimes develop fine cracks and fissures due to regular deterioration or the natural pressure of the ground around it. The roots of trees growing in your yard may infiltrate the pipe in search of water. Once they begin to grow within the pipe there is no stopping them and they can eventually grow to such a point where they block the pipe entirely. The build-up of food particles, grease etc. aggravates the matter and before you know it, you find yourself dealing with a blocked drains
- Poor drainage system installation- At times, there could be flat spots, or improper a fall in the drain pipes. At times too many bends or joints may be causing the problem.
- Items stuck in the pipes- It’s common for small toys, feminine hygiene products, wet wipes and toilet paper to be flushed down the toilets; these too can become lodged inside the drains and can result in a blockage.
Signs to look out for
Some of the classic signs of blocked drains include:
- Gurgling sound in drains when you flush the toilet
- Water in sinks and shower areas drains very slowly
- Foul smell coming from the drains
- Backflow of sewage water in the shower and sinks
If you have noticed any of these signs, or suspect you have a blocked drain, call us without delay. We are one of the leading companies in this industry and offer a variety of plumbing solutions