Hot water systems see daily use and that means they also see a significant amount of wear and tear. Just like any other installation in your house, the one way to ensure they are in good repair is to get regular maintenance done; not only will that help prevent unexpected breakdowns, but will save you a significant amount of money as well. Here are some tips from the experts at Wilco Plumbing on how you can best maintain your hot water tank:
Drain the water heater regularly
This is a very important aspect of water heater tank maintenance and you should make it a point to drain your water heater tank at least every six months. Flushing it out with regularity will help control mineral build-up, which helps maintain the water heater’s efficiency. In addition, it increases the lifespan of your water heater as well. Here is a basic guide on flushing your hot water heater tank:
To drain the water:
- First shut down the entire unit and remove the wires for added safety.
- Open up the faucet that is closest to the heater and then let the water run out until you get only cold water.
- Once all the hot water has been drained completely, turn-off the water supply to your heater; and keep the faucet open.
- You will find a drain valve under the heater; attach a garden hose to this valve.
- Open up the relief valve positioned at the top center of your heater.
- Let all the water get drained out completely.
- Close the relief valve and the drain valve.
- Start the cold water supply and wait until the system is full.
- Open up all the hot water faucets in your home & drain a bit of cold water from each one of them to make sure that no air has been trapped in any of them.
- Now simply plug in the wire & switch on the heater.
Other basic checks
If you want your hot water heater to provide trouble-free service, get the system inspected at regular intervals by qualified professionals like the ones at Wilco Plumbing. Our experts will thoroughly inspect all the components such as the heating element, operating unit as well as the wiring to ensure that these are in perfect condition. This type of routine maintenance reduces the incidence of breakdowns.
Water heaters generally produce a certain amount of noise; however, if you notice any hissing sound, call us without delay; your hot water system probably requires cleanup. We are one of the leading companies in this industry and offer a variety of plumbing solutions such as Gas Fitting and Gas Repairs, Burst and Leaking Pipe Repairs, Blocked Drains as well as all other Commercial and Residential Plumbing.
We also understand that some plumbing problems can surface without warning and it’s why we provide reliable and prompt 24/7 Plumbing Emergency services Sydney-wide. For more information, call Wilco Plumbing on 02 9186 3319 or contact us via this online form and we will respond shortly.