Water is a precious resource and we often use it indiscriminately in our homes. We rarely think twice before running a bath or standing under a shower for extended periods of time. With spring and the warmer summer months approaching we also tend to use more water in our homes. Sometimes we may accidently leave the taps running or may use the dishwasher or washing machine excessively; all of these things result in a lot of water wastage and increase our water bills as well.
Minimising water consumption in your home is the easiest and simplest ways to decrease your water bills and reduce your household’s impact on the environment. When you conserve water even in areas without any shortages, it helps reduce the need to extract water from rivers or to build dams. It also reduces the amount of wastewater produced & treated at local sewage plants, lowers the energy requirements for transporting and treating water & waste water, & reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
Some ways in which to minimise water use in your home
The Wilco Plumbing experts have put together this useful list of tips on how to reduce water wastage:
- Reduce your indoor water usage by installing water-efficient showers, taps, toilets and appliances.
- Minimise the use of water in the outdoor areas by choosing plants & shrubs that are suitable for local growing conditions. You can also include low water usage areas in your garden design by using indigenous plants or species of plants that require less water to grow.
- Reduce paving of the outdoor areas as this ups the heat radiation and the water runoff from your landscape.
- Wash cars and motorbikes near your lawn so the grass gets watered simultaneously.
- Sweep your driveway, paths and walkways instead of pressure washing them often.
- Reuse water where possible as this helps reduce consumption of potable water for any non-potable purposes.
- Be more conscious about the manner in which you use water in your home. For instance, opt to bathe under the shower rather than run a bath every single day.
- Call in a plumber to fix faucet and tap leaks and tell them to check the rest of the plumbing systems for leakages as well.
- Install a drip irrigation and automated sprinkler system in your landscape; this too helps save a significant amount of water.
Following these tips with consistency is one of the best ways to save water and reduce your water bills. We are one of the leading companies in this industry and offer a variety of plumbing solutions such as Gas Fitting and Gas Repairs, Blocked Drains, Burst and Leaking Pipe Repairs as well as all other Commercial and Residential Plumbing.
We also understand that some plumbing problems can surface without warning and it’s why we provide reliable and prompt 24/7 Plumbing Emergency services Sydney-wide. For more information, call Wilco Plumbing on 02 9186 3319 or contact us via this online form and we will respond shortly.