Every commercial and residential property owner will have faced a blocked drain problem at some time or the other. The fact is that this is one of the commonest plumbing problems that people have to deal with and we at Wilco Plumbing have handled a large number of blocked drain requests over the years. Not only is a backed up/overflowing drain an inconvenience, but can cause a considerable amount of damage to various features on your property as well.
While blocked drains are categorised as a plumbing emergency, it’s important to recognise that it’s never a sudden occurrence though it may seem that way. The block builds up over time and eventually becomes so severe that it causes a block; and that’s when you find yourself dealing with a drain backup in the kitchen or bathroom sinks, or in the shower or bathtub areas. It is possible to clear minor drain blocks using a plunger, but if the block is severe and you find yourself using the plunger too often, its best to call in a professional plumber to deal with the problem, without delay.
Drain blocks- the 5 common causes
- Tree roots in drains– Roots of large trees growing in your yards sometimes begin to grow through cracks in your underground drain pipes, seeking water. Eventually, these roots grow to such a point inside the drains that they form a kind of net in which all the debris, food particles, grease and other things become entangled. If this block isn’t noticed in time and cleared quickly, it builds up and become more severe.
- Tiny objects stuck in pipes– Toilet paper, flushable baby wipes, combs and small toys, feminine sanitary products and more can get lodged in the drain pipes and cause a blockage.
- Pipe collapse– Sometimes a drain pipe may collapse or become misaligned because of the natural ground movements or the pressure from larger tree roots and these results in a block.
- Poorly-installed drains– There might be in adequate fall/ flat spots in the drains and this can also cause debris build-up which eventually results in a block. Excessive junctions and bends in the pipes also results in similar issues.
Signs that you have a blocked drain
While there numerous other causes of blocked drains, there are also many early warning signs that can help you identify whether there problem; some of these include:
- Gurgling sound, after you flush a toilet
- The water level in your toilet is higher/lower than usual
- Water level in the toilet, bath or sink drains very slowly
- Foul smells/internal venting
If you are dealing with Blocked Drains, feel free to call us without delay. We are one of the leading companies in this industry and offer a variety of plumbing solutions such as Gas Fitting and Gas Repairs, Burst and Leaking Pipe Repairs as well as all other Commercial and Residential Plumbing. We also understand that some plumbing problems can surface without warning and it’s why we provide reliable and prompt 24/7 Plumbing Emergency services Sydney-wide. For more information, call Wilco Plumbing on 02 9186 3319 or contact us via this online form.